2008年11月16日 星期日

OR from Shy Kick Apple/Fire Ex talks about VFTS


This article originally appeared in Chinese on the Megaport Association website.

Voices From The South: S.K.A./Fire Ex Guitarist OR

Two years ago I got an unexpected phone call from a Chinese-Canadian guy who said in unclear Chinese, “Hi, I’m Don from FYI South, I want to interview Shy Kick Apple for the magazine.” During the course of the interview, we drank a lot of beer. In addition to discussing Shy Kick Apple, we told him about other bands and the underground scene in Kaohsiung. Don’s reaction was one of amazement; he rightly believed that the indie scene should not be like this. Afterwards, whenever S.K.A. had a show, he would almost always be there. Each time I would see him his first words to me would always be “Hey OR! Beer?” Over time, everyone got to know more and more about this new friend with whom we could practice English and drink beer.

One day I got a phone call saying Don wanted to make a documentary about Kaohsiung’s bands. This news made me feel both nervous and excited. Finally, more people could get to understand Kaohsiung’s music scene. Even if just a little, that would be just fine. Our surroundings are not like that of the north, so it’s easy for us to become idle. Because of this, we all know we must work a little harder.

Once, Don came from Kaohsiung to Dan Shui to film Fire Ex. It was only a minor thing, he needed a sound recording to use in the film. When we finished our show, I saw him sitting alone at the side of the stage looking dejected and angry, smoking a cigarette. I asked him what was wrong, he said the sound recording was corrupted and it couldn’t be used. He blamed himself over this little thing, and he felt that he made a mistake. I also blamed myself for not paying attention to this matter and helping to avert the mistake. After I consoled him, he immediately threw all his equipment bags on his back and walked off into the sunset to return to Kaohsiung. Watching him walking away, I almost cried. But of course, in his hand was a bag of beer…

This documentary not only shows Kaohsiung’s bands, it also shows his care and love for us. I often think that maybe we’re not important people, but we definitely make up a page in Kaohsiung’s history. Thanks to this documentary for capturing these bands for posterity. So, see you at MegA on the 18th. I hope everyone can have some drinks, enjoy the bands and the movie. If you happen to run into Don and have a drink in your hand, don’t be shy and say to him “Thanks and Cheers!”

沒有留言: